Monday, April 2, 2012

Finding the right one

I just had a conversation with my husband's brother and his wife about where to send their kid to school in Metro Manila. I cannot help but give them my criteria for a GREAT school.- and you all know I wont send my child to a mediocre school. The school might just meet all my requirements. Here are some of my points.

1. Standard Based Education.

I believe tat a school that begins with the end in mind guides and leads our children better. I want a school that is driven to meet their goals and objectives. I want a school that is passionate about their mission and vision and does not just take each day as if its an ordinary day. I want a school that sees everyday as an opportunity to change the world, make a difference in our children's lives and achieve our common goals.

I want a school that has specific standards per level- as we all know standards are simply the backbone of the curriculum. Standards are basically what we have to achieve and what our children needs to achieve to meet the BIGGER goal 10 years from now.

2. Updated.

I want a school that is constantly upgrading themselves- to gain all the best practices there is in education. I want a school that updates their standards, curriculum and teacher development.

3. Teaching Styles

I want a school that have varied teaching styles- uses technology and other alternatives in teaching. I want a school for my kids where they can be who they are and learn.

4. Security.

Ofcourse, security. We all want a safe school.

5. Life long learning

I want a school that instills love for learning. I want a school that teaches skills needs to thrive in the real world- thinking skills, creativity, resourcefulness, diligence. No more of those memorization stuff. I want more thinking skills.

6. Discipline, Values Formation

Yes. I need a school that instills proper character to my kids. I want them to instill work ethics - that we need to be successful. And, yes , you get that in school. Not all school teaches children ethics and etiquette. But a great school does.

7. Small student-teacher ratio.

8. No discrimination.

9. Student-centered, not parent-centered.


Oh, by the way, its so hard to find great schools. So, when you find it, appreciate and thank everyone who's in it. :) Good thing there's Oakridge in Dagupan City. If we're based in Manila and theres no Oakridge in Manila, I would be miserable- finding the right school- the best school for Nathan.

No comments: