Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Crazy. I've been thinking about this the whole day. After the day I had, I kind of had a feeling that all leadership ABCs and basics are not applicable here in the Philippines. I know we all need to change and face progress. But at the same time, we face the reality that our country might not be ready for it.
Like following and doing one of the most important leadership tactics of all time - Begin with the End in Mind. That definitely doesnt fit in the Philippine settings. The irony here is that we have always been accustomed to "diskarte" or some sort of skill to execute something. Being flexible to make sure that we execute the job. But thats not acceptable in Leadership ABCs.
Dont get me wrong. I loooove and am a firm believer of Stephen Covey's Habits. But more and more, I get to feel that we - as a society are not ready for this.
The first habit for example is to be Proactive. We all know it doesnt work here. We learn to wait whats given to us- Filipinos. We dont really take control. hmmmm..probably thats where Im not so Filipino. :) I do take control. and I do not wait.
Third habit is Put First Things First. Yeah. This is one of the most important traits we need to have as a country, as citizens and as human beings. But prioritizing things is one of the things we lack in. Believe it or not, we give utmost importance to family bonding than work, family bonding over Civic Obligation.

NOW, lets ask the question again. " are all the leadership basics not applicable in Philippine culture?" or "are we not just open for change and progress". :(

No comments: