Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Today, I had the opportunity to meet and see the life of two kinds of people -one who has nothing and one who has everything. Early this evening, before going home, we passed by pampanga for dinner. Of course, we ate at Susie's ( dek's favorite palabok and my favorite rice cakes. Susie has been our favorite this year. Not only do they serve comfort food, it's cheap.) while eating, I noticed the staff of Susie's prepare an order of lasagna for this old lady beggar outside the restaurant. He gave it to the security guard and the guard gave it to the old woman. My heart was so touched, I reached out to my husband and told him of what they have done. And he willingly opened his wallet and gave money to the old woman. The waiter started telling us about this old woman who comes to the restaurant to ask for food once in a while, who sends her grandchildren to school and who begs for money. She's basically in her 80s and walks kilometers to look for food and money for her grandchildren. And when I looked at her, she would have that earnest desire to live longer to send her grandchildren to school and to have more opportunity to spend time with her love one. I was so touch I started praying for her on our way back home. 
As we were going back to pangasinan, a friend started texting me about how depressed she is and how she's loosing her mind. Being a good frind, I consoled her. When I heard she ran away without any cash, I told dek we're going to rescue someone tonight and we did. When we picked her up, she started talking about how tired she was, how much she needed antidepressants and how her boyfriend is creeping her out. Apparently, her boyfriend tried to kill himself several times. Her boyfriend - who's wealthy enough to have bodyguards and drivers and people to serve him, a person who need not worry about money and his future, wants to kill himself. I instantly felt this person is empty. Why would someone kill himself if not for the emptiness of his life?  
I suddenly realized how privilege the old woman was having her loved ones to live for. Indeed, it doesn't matter how much you have - but who you have and who you have within you. Life is indeed vanity of varieties when you don't know why you were created and why you live each day. Our human life is way beyond material things of this world and even intellectual things. We are created to be filled with The Lord. We are created for God's purpose and to accomplish what he had planned. Life without Christ is not worth living. I praise The Lord that He has given us reason to live each day. 

No comments: