Saturday, November 9, 2013

I was once asked why we, Filipinos used to put our families' name and degree outside our houses in stones. I have always thought it's like part of our culture or tradition. But this deeply rooted culture is a manifestation of a Filipino attitude where we like to show off a lot. We like to show that we are doing GREAT. We like to show off our kids are getting high grades. It's just funny! Today, when I opened my Facebook, I saw someone posting her honor roll certificate from a local school. And my initial reaction was " oh! That shows how good you are in memorizing bunch of useless facts". It was an impulse by the way. Just my reaction to that kind of stuff.
To tell you the truth, I'm soooo good in memorizing. I'm so good, I've memorized books of the bible. But it doesn't really make sense. You memorized so many things and end up forgetting and ignoring the value. That's not education. That's not learning. That's just plain "show off". Philippine education is so hypocritical that everyone just wanna show how good they look. But deep inside , you can see all the cracks and diseases in the system. They focus so much on programs, pageants - and not spend time on what's important - installing values and skills necessary for nation building. And of course what do you expect our country to be when majority of the schools in the country are just sooooo pathetically involve in outward appearances? We end up with shallow society.
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter whether you are in the honor roll, whether you are top one or rank 50. What matters is how you will do in life. We have so many friends who are not in the top ten at traditional schools, but you made their first million while in college. You cannot bring your honor roll certificate when you apply for your first job, or even apply at ateneo. But you do need - critical thinking, analysis, good character, great work ethics and an Oakridge education.
I believe that. That's why my kids go to OIS. If we compromise and end up just "trying to please dagupan parents" by simply going back to read and memorize, I'll take my kids to Manila.

No comments: